Sunday, September 20, 2009

Moonrise over Maine

I recently traveled to Boothbay Harbor Maine.  My son, a budding young photographer,  had  been engaged to photograph his cousin's wedding and he asked me to come along as his assistant.  I am not much of an event photographer, but I jumped at the chance to spend time with Greg and to visit a beautiful place.  The night before the wedding, as we sat on the porch of a waterfront cabin, the moon began to rise.  It was a beautiful sight.  Naturally I grabbed my camera and began to shoot.

 The photo you see here is the result.
Technical Details: Canon 5D, ISO 640, 17-40mm zoom at 17mm, two exposures blended in Photoshop.  One exposed for 10 sec for the moon and its reflection and the other exposed at 30 sec for the remainder of the scene.

By the way, the wedding went very well and I was amazed to see how Greg has grown as a photographer.  He has a talent for wedding photography and hopefully will realize his dream of becoming a full time photographer.  As for me, I found out that event photgraphy is very demanding, with long days.  I think I will stick to landscape photography!

1 comment:

Kevin Bedford said...

ruce
Nice shot but think it needs more work. My initial thought was that the horizon wasn't straight but then I thought it could be the perspective of the arch over the bridge. I also think you need to dig some more detail out of the foreground (maybe its not there) - as it stands the darkness isn't doing nothing so would consider cropping at the bottom of the lit path.
This is only my opinionso someone else might disagree!